Well it took a bit of time but after quite a few months a new release of Seagull is finally out, 0.6.3. Things have been keeping pretty busy with the startup I’m working on, but it’s been a great opportunity to refine some features of the framework and optimise the performance.
The early indications are good, after less than 10 weeks of going live Kindo users are creating up to 20k profiles/day and the server load is staying comfortably below 0.5.
The latest Seagull release has a long list of improvements and new features, now it’s just a case of bringing the wiki documentation up to date to reflect this 😉 Should happen in next few weeks.
Here’s an overview of what’s new:
- emails can now be stored in a queue managed by the db
- we integrated Horde_Routes, imo one of the better PHP routes libs available
- Zend_Cache, which had clearly overtaken Cache_Lite is now wrapped by SGL_Cache, so devs have easy access to a memcached backend
- Dmitri developed an alternative array-based navigation driver, same flexibility as former driver but lightning fast
- out-of-the-box RTL support thanks to our work on the Arabic translation of http://kindo.com/
- the test suite now runs end-to-end in CLI
- the translation module has been greatly enhanced and was key in allowing us to release 14 languages in 10 weeks, including Arabic, Chinese and Russian
- full support for stored proc multiple resultsets in the SGL MySQL db driver and for storing DDLs for procs, views, functions, triggers and default or test data in your modules
- many performance improvements
- support for multiple attachments in SGL_Emailer
See the CHANGELOG for full details.